Transgender Name Change Petitions: Changing Gender on a Birth Certificate (15-05)

Name Change v. Gender Change: Presiding over a name change petition for an adult is a common occurrence forTransgender most judges. As long as certain legal and procedural requirements are met, approving the petition is usually simple and straightforward. This is true whether petitioner is male, female or transgender. A petition filed by a transgender person, seeking only a name change, is no different from a petition filed by any other adult male or female.

However, in some cases, a petition filed by a transgender person may ask the court for an order changing the gender designation on the birth certificate. Amending the birth certificate to accurately reflect the gender with which the individual identifies, may be an extremely important step for a transgender person.

This Training Update will explain when and under what authority the District Court can grant such a request (and will also discuss one additional option available to the petitioner).

Click on the Link Below to Read More:




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.